Obtaining a Resident Producer License in Washington
1. Enroll in your ExamFX Study program (no cost to you; ABG pays for course) using the information given in the ExamFX Enrollment Guide. In Washington, you only need to enroll in the "Disability Only" study program.
(You may choose to study for both the Disability and Life licenses together and take the combo test if you prefer, but you are only required to get your Disability.)
NOTE: Washington is a state that requires you to spend the full amount of study time (20 hours for Disability Only, 40 hours for Life & Disability) in your study course in order to meet the pre-licensing course requirements. Make sure that if it doesn't take you 20 hours to complete the course and prepare for your exam, you have a plan to "run out the clock" in your course prior to your exam date.
2. Make an appointment to go get your fingerprints done by visiting the IdentoGO website or call IdentoGO at 888-771-5097 (cost: $52.00). The background check typically takes 7-10 business days.
3. Schedule your state exam (cost: $45.00 for Disability Only, or $62.00 for Life & Disability Combo) by going to the PSI website and following the instructions:
- For "Select Jurisdiction" - scroll down and click on "Washington"
- For "Select Account" - click on "WA Insurance"
- For "License Name" - click on "WA Disability Producer" if just trying to get your Health license. (Select "WA Life and Disability Producer Combo" if trying to get both your Health and Life licenses.)
You can also schedule your exam via phone by calling 1-800-733-9267 between 8 a.m. and 9 p.m. (Eastern Time), Monday through Friday. You should allow yourself about 5 to 10 days to study and prepare for the exam.
NOTE: If you cannot schedule your fingerprints for a date before/on your exam date, you need to bring your fingerprinting appointment confirmation email with your Registrant ID Number on it to your exam with you, so you can present it to the exam proctor if asked.
4. Complete your ExamFX course, then take & pass your state exam. If you have any questions about what to bring or what to expect on test day, please check the Washington Candidate Handbook.
5. Apply for your state license on Washington State Office Of The Insurance Commissioner website or the NIPR website. (Cost: $60.00)
Washington generally takes about 5 business days to issue a license once they've received your completed background check results and other necessary application items.
Total Licensing Cost in Washington = $157.00
** Keep your receipts on file for licensing reimbursement from FHL **